Update on my Preparations
A lot of people know that I have been working on preparation for quite a while. I am often asked to share what I am doing (currently) to prepare.
To help me stay focused (and not feel overwhelmed), I keep a working list that I continually update with items I feel are very important in the preparation journey. Of course, I also try to regularly post to this blog – as it enables me to share some insights I have from my journey, and what I feel is impressed upon my heart.
A couple of weeks ago, I posted an article on the progress of some of my family’s efforts to get ready for events that we believe are coming. Every day we work on our list – and involve every member of our family in the process.
Before I share an update on our progress, I found it quite interesting that today on CNN – Glenn Beck published an article that is right in line with this whole notion of preparation. from my perspective, his comments and insights are right on target as he mentions the need to prepare – and not panic. If you are interested, you can View the article here.
Anyway, let me get to my preparation. Let me encourage you to start your own list of things you want to work on to prepare. It will help you stay focused, and feel less stressed about the events that are unfolding.
These are in no particular priority order, and this is not at all my comprehensive list. I have some other items that I’ve prepared – but will not disclose those for security reasons:
- My family has developed a fully-stocked heirloom vegetable seed (and seed potatoes) bank. We’re going to be getting some flowers as well.
- Have a strong supply of nutrient dense URI products (dehydrated whole-food powder) for nutritional needs. The Feast and Barley Pure are a necessity for my family, and the product has a 2 year shelf life.
- Currently have a strong stock of dried food items (ie. grains, canned goods, beans, etc) for long-term storage. Will continue to stock our pantry each month to grow our inventory for a 8 to 10 month supply.
- Still working on the best solution for food storage containers (food grade) for grains and dried food. Have one source, but still trying to find a more economical supplier.
- Looking to install alternative energy source – (ie. solar power)
- Have trimmed 20% of monthly expenses and will continue to strengthen my financial position.
- IMPORTANT… Still working to establishing an online income training system to help others transition to having the ability to earn income, without traveling. Online activity has significantly increased with the recent global financial crunch.
- Have stocked additional hunting supplies, and will add to inventory each month (ammo, backpack, etc.)
- Stocking wood for heating/cooking. I am not concerned we will lose electricity, but am sensitive that we will need to conserve economic resources during a difficult economy.
- Building a supply of batteries (including rechargeable) and flashlights
- We acquired a food dehydrator (and are currently using) to help with long-term food storage, and make some awesome snacks.
- Still need to acquire water purifier
- Still need to Install wood heater in office and looking at installing a hand pump for well
- Have prepared climate controlled storage for food/seeds
- Investigating livestock options
- Working on developing barter system
- Looking to establish home meeting group to locally connect with people who are preparing.
- Maintain my blogsite to share my views on what is going on and where I believe things are headed. The site will be primarily information and content based – and will help with connecting and networking with others. By networking with like-minded people, I believe it will help in finding additional resources for supplies/information. It will also be an opportunity to encourage others and share Christ.